January is resolution season. The holidays are over and you can focus on getting back into your healthy routine again.
I'm sure you have a resolution or two, just like most people. Unfortunately, most people quit after just weeks of starting their new program. I hope you don't. And to help you achieve your goals in 2012, here are my 5 best pieces of advice:
1. Write down your goals. If your goals are no more than vague ideas floating around in your head, you will never reach them. Write down exactly what you want, why you want it, and when you're committed to achieving it.
2. Keep an accountability journal. By keeping tabs on your goals, you're very likely to know whether you're going in the right direction or not. Without a record, you don't know when you're off course.
3. Break up your big goals. Big goals are really nothing but a bunch of small items that you could put on a to-do list. For example, if your goal is to lose 15 pounds in 3 months, then your small goal is 5 pounds each month, or just over a pound a week. Then take this further and come up with exactly what you're supposed to do on a daily basis, and check it off like it's a to-do list.
4. Re-Assess after a month. Sometimes you might have to change your direction in order to achieve your goals. Being flexible in your approach is important. It's like sailing a boat toward an island, sometimes you may be too far left or right but you just make small adjustments and you'll finally get there. Your path may look like a zig zag line, but you'll get there.
5. Congratulate yourself. Sometimes it seems like we are much better at finding what is not working than what is. But sometimes we really need to see what is actually working in our lives. It re-assures yourself that you are making progress.
I will do whatever I can to help you achieve your goals. If you or a friend of yours really wants 2012 to be the year that you achieve your goals, please don't hesitate to call me.
Try it Out
30 days of classes
30-minute personal training session
Stop relying on willpower, motivational tricks, and pump-up strategies and learn how to top into your inner fitness fire with Chris' 60-minute audio book: Ignite Your Fitness Passion (published 2015)
Relieve your back pain with this easy-to-follow video program designed to get to the root cause of your pain: muscle imbalance. Check out the Back Pain Module.
Learn the basic principles that make a successful fitness program with Chris' 60-page book, Functional Strength: The Key To Pain-Free Movement (published 2008)